"Is there such thing as Paleo friendly alcohol?", I hear you ask.. not quite. But there are some better options than others. You've been hitting the gym all week and eating a clean diet. You want to be able to socialize and have a few drinks without ruining your diet or lying in bed all weekend with a hangover. As it's December and party season is upon us I'm here to give you the low down.
Certain types of alcohol will derail your diet, take beer for example. Is it delicious? Absolutely. Is it Paleo friendly? I'm afraid not. You can go for a gluten - free beer instead. Next up: vodka. This is only Paleo depending on it's ingredients. If it is made from oats, grain, barley, oats and corn it should be avoided. Brands like Absolut and Smirnoff contain these ingredients. Instead, opt for the likes of Potato vodka. As you can probably guess from the name is derived from potatoes, and is low carb, sugar-free and gluten-free. This can be picked up in your local Tesco. Tequila is another sugar-free, gluten- free and low carb option that derives from plants. Without going into the in's and out's of each drink option, I put together a simplified cheat sheet below.
PALEO SURVIVAL GUIDE'S
ALCOHOL CHEAT SHEET
- Potato Vodka
- Cider (gluten free)
- Gluten free beer
- Mixed Cocktails
- Grain - based Gin
- Grain - based vodka
- Opt for non - grain based spirits
- If you must have beer- ensure it's gluten free
- Wine is fine- as long as it has no added sugar. Dry & sparking are best
- Citrus juices: lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit
- Herbs: Ginger, Basil, Mint
- Water, Ice cubes, club soda, coconut milk
- Fruit: Pear, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, pomegranate, kiwi
- Veg: Cucumber, jalapenos, avocado
1. Skip the mixers. Use lemon and lime instead. If you're watching your calories, skip the soda water also and use plain water instead.
2. When you know you'll be drinking, eat lean lean proteins and non - starchy veg that day to reduce overall fat intake for that day
3. Eat a healthy meal before you go out. Alcohol can cause your blood sugar levels to spike so be sure to avoid drinking on an empty stomach to lessen the absorption of alcohol.
4. Bring a snack with you. Now it doesn't sound very exciting to be bringing around beef jerky or nuts with you but you'll be less likely to be craving a take away at 1am if you have a healthy snack on hand throughout the evening. Your wallet and waist line will thank you the next morning!
5. Have a water for every other drink. The main reason here is that by keeping your body hydrated you will be lessening the hangover the next day. Also, drinking replacing water will reduce your consumption of alcohol.
6. Try not to mix drinks. Mixing drinks only gives your liver extra work to do.
PALEO DRINK IDEAS WITH A ZING:
1. 1 oz potato vodka, soda water, 1/2 lime, ice
2. 1 oz Tequila, 1/2 lime, x2Fresh mint leaves, x6 Raspberries, sparkling water
3. Margarita- 3 oz tequila, 1 lime (juice & pulp), ice, soda water, salt